Shreyas Iyer became the 16th Indian batsman to score a century in his first Test, doing so on the second day of the first Test against New Zealand.With this, he joined the group of great players like Lala Amarnath, Gundappa Vishwanath and BCCI President Sourav Ganguly.
Shreyas hit 13 fours in the innings
Iyer, who hails from Worli area of Mumbai, scored 105 runs in 171 balls with the help of 13 fours and two sixes at Green Park Stadium. He was dismissed by Tim Southee.
He is the second Indian batsman after Vishwanath to score a century in the first Test at Kanpur. He is the third Indian to score a century in his Test debut against New Zealand.
Before him, Arjan Kripal Singh (1955) and Surinder Amarnath (1976) scored centuries in the first Test against New Zealand.
These are the Indian players who scored a century in the debut test
- Lala Amarnath (vs England 1933)
- 2 . Deepak Shodhan (vs Pakistan 1952)
- Arjan Kripal Singh (vs New Zealand 1955)
- Abbas Ali Baig (vs England 1959)
- Hanumant Singh (vs England 1964)
- G Vishwanath (vs Australia 1969)
- Surinder Amarnath (vs New Zealand 1976)
- Mohammad Azharuddin (vs England 1984)
- Pravin Amre (vs South Africa 1992)
- Sourav Ganguly (vs England 1996)
- Virender Sehwag (vs South Africa 2001)
- Suresh Raina (vs Sri Lanka 2010)
- Shikhar Dhawan (vs Australia 2013)
- Rohit Sharma (vs West Indies 2013)
- Prithvi Shaw (vs West Indies 2018)
- Shreyas Iyer (vs New Zealand 2021)